Sunday, January 27, 2013

love mug


I've been wanting to try doodling on cups and dishes for a long time now and I keep coming across posts about using Sharpie pens to write on ceramics. I found two white mugs at our local coalition last week for a whopping 25 cents apiece and thought it was time to give it a try. So, off and on Saturday, I stopped and doodled a little here and there until I had covered one mug up pretty much with doodle flowers and birds. 


There were a great many mixed reviews as to whether or not the whole Sharpie on ceramics + baking at 350 degrees for 30 minutes even works. Well, I baked at 450 degrees for about 2 hours and then let it cool in the oven overnight. It seemed pretty sturdy and I even drank a cup of coffee from it this morning. But, if I scratched really hard, it looked like some of the ink came off just a wee little bit. 

So, I baked it again today at 450 for another two hours. I figured it couldn't hurt. Again, I left it to cool in the oven for another few hours before taking it out again. A little preliminary scratching around seems to show that the ink is pretty well set, but I'll let you know how it holds up in the long run. 


I did, however, purchase an ultra-fine Sharpie paint marker today and am planning to try it out on the other mug I have this week.

15 comments:

  1. Your "doodle" looks like fine art to me! The mug looks so pretty now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented! I love the mug. I wish I could draw half that well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seriously impressed. I did "doodling" on a mug I had lying around, but it was just a bunch of shapes, haha. Yours is amazing!! I couldn't freehand something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool! I love your doodles! This reminds me of when I used to decorate foam cups with pens when I got bored working at my family's snow cone shop. Good memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know how it goes! I am trying to do this for a friend's birthday present but I am having the same trouble with making sure the ink set's permanently. I'm thinking of just ordering some ceramic pens. Let me know if you find anything else that works well.

    Thanks,
    Meg
    www.willwork4cupcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!
    Show and Tell Saturday at Sassy Little Lady is LIVE! I’d love to have you share your post!

    http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday-2

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That doodle is super cool :) you are very talented!

    As for Sharpies, I remember coming across a pin on pinterest which said that the pens to be used on ceramics are not the regular ones. Not sure thought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Also, don't miss the Sweethearts Giveaway starting on Monday with over $2,000 in prizes. Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cute! I've seen this around and I've wanted to try it but I've been to scared. ;) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a porcelain pen that can be purchased at Michael's ~ haven't tried it but this project makes me want to!
    Allison B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute!!! What a fun design! I really need to try this out too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    I just wanted to let you know that your post will be featured later this evening on Show and Tell Saturday #3 on Sassy Little Lady! Have a great day!

    Kathie
    http://www.sassylittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love...love...love this. My daughters art class just did a similar bird (not quite as cute and detailed as yours) but I think I need to make a mug!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your doodles are amazing! What a fun mug - so glad you found my music lyric plate so you can use the right marker that won't scratch off! You don't want to mess with the design.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete